2.7
Insurance Plans Acceptance

I am shopping around for my first hearing aids at 77 and wanted to take advantage of a junk-mail Miracle Ear offer for a free ham with a test. The experience was enlightening.

The pitch, from an extremely personable worker, emphasized fear and was pretty effective. The idea was that most people delayed (because of gradual hearing loss) until it was too late. The results, naturally, showed that I was on the line just above irreversibility and it would be best if I acted now! At the end of the 1.5 hour session, the pricing came out.

The aids topped out at $9500 (pair). I asked for his recommendation if price was not a factor, and was told the $8500 (pair) set would work well. When I expressed some sticker shock, he immediately dropped the price $2,000 and threw in a $400 recharger. Though his rationale for the drop was well reasoned, the speed was reminiscent of the way Kirby and Sears operate.

I will probably end up at Costco which has great reviews, staff does not work on commission and the manufacturer is the same one that supplies Miracle Ear. Got the ham coupon on the way out.

Product or Service Mentioned: Miracle Ear Deal.

Reason of review: Not as described.

I liked: Good staff.

I didn't like: Pricing seemed high.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Sep 17, 2016.

Comments